Vet qa parent

Is mistletoe bad for dogs?

Is mistletoe bad for dogs?

Our question this week was:

Doctor - is mistletoe bad for dogs? I have a puppy and he just ate about 10 leaves and is acting funny. He almost acts like he is “Seeing things”.

What do you think?

Regards,

John Davidson - Fort Wayne, IN

Answer

Hi John- thanks for your email. Mistletoe can be toxic! Mistletoe from the Phoradendron spp. can cause significant vomiting and diarrhea. In addition, this plant has been associated with difficulty breathing, slowed heart rate, collapse and, if a lot is ingested, death has occurred. Some animals may even show erratic behavior and possible hallucinations.

I'd recommend that you call your local emergency clinic immediately.

Best of luck!

Doctor

To read most recent questions Click here!

Click here to see the full list of Ask Doctor Questions and Answers!