What should you know about first aid that could possibly save your dog's life one day?
I spoke with several emergency veterinarians and we came up list of 10 things that every pet owner needs to know in an emergency.
Here they are.
1. Behavior - You need to know what to expect from an injured pet to prevent injury to yourself.
2. Vet phone numbers and address - Have this information close at hand because you will need it very quickly. The the link below to print your own template.
3. Phone number of an animal-loving friend - In some situations, like when a pet is lost or when you are trying to transport an injured pet, you will need a friend's help.
4. CPR - Cardiopulmonary rescusitation can help save your dog.
5. Heimlich maneuver- can help save a choking dog.
6. How to bandage - This can be easy to do and it is extremely important to protect a wound.
7. How to stop bleeding - Applying gentle pressure is the best way to stop bleeding.
8. Wound care - Towels and blankets can be used to cover a wound or to help you pick up an injured pet.
9. How to transport a pet - A strong blanket can be used to help you transport a pet.
10. How to pay for veterinary care - How would you pay for your pet's care if he was sick or injured? It is important to always have a plan so you will not find yourself in a difficult situation. Many clinics do not allow payment plans but do accept credit cards. Also, think about putting money aside on a regular basis to cover your pet's medical care, or consider pet insurance.