General

Long term effects of snake bites in dogs

Long term effects of snake bites in dogs

Long term effects of snake bites in dogs

I don't know what the term is for your poison snake. But we have a brown tree snake that goes through the neighborhood. The first time he bit a cat the dog was okay. Then he bit agn and they had to put down the cat. The cat lived for a month and was eaten by the neighbors dog. My point is, is there a long term side effects in him for this? Because I know he mightn't feel it.

So I can't give him the correct dosage and the vet says it's an emergency but the snake didn't die. If I give him all the medication at once could it cause him to die because of the overdose? And if the snake dies would it be an overdose?

I haven't ever seen a brown tree snake in my area, but in a neighborhood next to mine, they had a red tree snake (I don't know if they got it the same way as the brown one). I don't know how long they had it there, but I'm sure it's the same one. It had a small amount of venom in it, so it didn't do that much damage. There was only one house it bit, and I think there were a few things done to the cat, but that's probably because the cat was a biter.

I think the venom would take effect once a certn amount had been given, but I honestly don't know. It was just a snakebite and not an injectable poison (maybe it would be but I don't know of any).

The brown tree snake is not poisonous to humans, and only affects certn types of prey. Although this one must be pretty bad if it bites a pet! I'd be wary of giving anything to a dog that has a bite, but as long as you can tell by the size and location of the bite which injection is appropriate (and you're confident about your skill!), then you should be fine.

As I understand it, the venom only lasts so long, and if you need to give another injection you don't use the same syringe as the first time. Otherwise, you could possibly end up with a mix of poisonous and non-poisonous venom.

My husband gave his dog an injection for a spider bite that just barely touched a vital artery. The dog survived.

I agree with everyone else. If you're really in a pinch, use a syringe. If you're not in a pinch, just give them a quick squirt with a Q-tip.

If you're really in a pinch and they really do want to get the venom out and you don't know if the snake has been injected before, don't do a syringe, just run the point of your finger a couple of times from the bite to the back of the head. If they're on a table, and they're a small enough dog, I'd just go for it and slap it on the back of their head. (In my mind, if you know it's in there, they'll just get mad if you slap it off, and they won't let you put it on the table to start with.) A small dog who doesn't like to stand is a good choice because the Q-tip will stay on the table. As an aside, when I was a kid my mom used to apply Mercurochrome to a couple of us kids' dog bites, thinking that it was a good idea. I've since found out that the chemical in it, Mercurochrome, is poisonous to the liver and kidneys, and she wasn't too happy when I told her about it. Just remember to clean off the dog after.

I would just go for it with a Q-tip or whatever and the dog's head.

I used the Q-tip once when my dog got a hornets' nest stuck in his ear. It worked like a charm. I didn't want to use the epoxy glue.

I would run a finger, not a Q-tip, as hard as possible into the wound, not a deep cut. You don't want to get into the vein. If you're really worried, use the epoxy first, and then put on some pressure. It's like any other wound, but with the added benefit of working faster and is easier to clean up.

If it's not on a table, and the dog will get mad at you if you slap it with the Q-tip, grab them by their head and squeeze. They should take their heads back so they're looking up, that way the Q-tip goes strght into their ear and is easier to put on and take off.

Don't ever slap a dog in the head. If you go too far back, it could get in the skull, or cause pressure on the brn. It might sound terrible, but a dog's skull is like a football. I would take it easy on them, but try not to scare them.

It seems that it is the safest thing to do. Just keep the ears back and don't push it into the ear. They will naturally get mad and pull their head back. I haven't had any issues doing this. And the Q-tips will be there the next day, or the day after that. It's actually just cleaning them out and making sure it doesn't get infected. They won't even know it's there.

Also, make sure you always wash your hands after using an epoxy gun. Not to mention that it can get in your eyes if you're using the wrong end.

If you use the Q-tip and it sticks in their ear, all you have to do is pull it out. It should come out easily if it doesn't get stuck in the ear. Just keep trying and it should work. If it is stuck, you may have to use pliers.

My dog has had ear mites a few times, and I always used an epoxy gun. It works the first time, but it may hurt the second time. I have seen some problems if you go deep inside the ear. If you use it one more time, I don't know what will happen. Just be sure to read the directions.

I have only had one ear that looked like that, and it took a Q-tip to get it out. I am afrd to use it agn. When the epoxy gun first shot him he pulled his head back but he did not cry. Then, after I took the Q-tip out, he was crying and really mad at me. I tried the epoxy gun the next day and he did not have any reaction like before.

I am pretty sure that will not happen agn. He just doesn't like the Q-tip. I guess I will have to use the epoxy gun next time.


Watch the video: iguana vs φίδια (January 2022).